Fitness and Fur Challenge 2021: January 11 – March 13
Entry: Bring your pet to our office, located at 5524 Greybull Hwy in Cody to be weighed and photographed. You will be asked to fill out a release/entry form and given a target weight for your pet to achieve by March 13.
Participation: We encourage you to bring your pets to us for a free weigh-in on a weekly basis. Keep in mind, only weigh-ins done in our facility will be counted for this challenge.
Winning: All pets must be weighed in our facility between March 8-13 for their final entry. The winner will be the pet closest to its personal target weight and will be announced March 15.
Why Does Weight Matter?
Overweight animals are more likely to suffer from a variety of health issues throughout their lives than animals who maintain a healthy weight. Even dropping small amounts of weight can significantly improve your animal’s quality of life, helping them avoid the following common concerns:
- Lower life expectancy (sometimes around two years less)
- Higher risk of diabetes, high blood pressure, respiratory issues, kidney disease, and some cancers.
- Additional strain on bones, joints, and muscles which causes discomfort (especially in the case your pet has or develops arthritis)
Overall, keeping your animals at a healthy weight helps them achieve a longer, healthier, happier life.
How to Help Your Pet Maintain a Healthy Weight
- Talk to your veterinarian about what your pet’s weight should be and how to best achieve it. (What works for some pets doesn’t work for others!)
- Make sure everyone in the family is committed to your pet’s lifestyle change and understands the importance of your pet’s health.
- Be aware of what your pet eats and how much of it they’re eating. It’s best to consult your veterinarian for ingredient list and serving size recommendations.
- Set goals and monitor progress! Our Fitness and Fur challenge may be a good way to help you evaluate your pet’s health and make lasting change in your pet’s well-being.
- Consider creating a healthier exercise schedule for your pets.
AVMA: Getting your pet to a healthy weight – primary source for this article